At First Church, we believe that being missional is something that has always been living. Christ is always at work, and we serve Him by joining Him in His mission. In fact, the church has been missional since Jesus Himself gave the Great Commission to His disciples, telling them to go out to all the world and make disciples for Him. Even in some of the church’s darkest hours, God has found a way to continue His mission.
It is our mission to live and share the love of Jesus, to be servants of Him, His church and the gospel. We want to share with you the kind of church we are and hope to be. Come on the journey of a lifetime – the journey of faith in Jesus Christ.
FIRST CHURCH is a body of believers called to be:
Our goal is to be a Christ-centered community for a changing world.
As a community of faith we will seek to develop relationships with those who do not know Christ; teaching them about Christ, and guiding them to a mature life-changing relationship with him.
“You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide (last).” John 15:16a (ESV)
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe (obey) all I have commanded you.” Matthew 28:19a (ESV)
“We proclaim him (Jesus Christ), warning everyone and teaching everyone, with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone mature in Christ.” Colossians 1:28 (ESV)
At First Church our mission is to be a Christ-centered community of faith that seeks to develop relationships with those who do not know Christ; teaching them about Christ, and guiding them into a mature life-changing relationship with him.
All Scripture is self-attesting and being Truth, requires our unreserved submission in all areas of life. The infallible Word of God, the sixty-six books of the Old and New Testaments, is a complete and unified witness to God’s redemptive acts culminating in the incarnation of the Living Word, the Lord Jesus Christ. The Bible, uniquely and fully inspired by the Holy Spirit, is the supreme and final authority on all matters on which it speaks. On this sure foundation we affirm these additional Essentials of our faith:
1. We believe in one God, the sovereign Creator and Sustainer of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. To Him be all honor, glory and praise forever!
2. Jesus Christ, the living Word, became flesh through His miraculous conception by the Holy Spirit and His virgin birth. He who is true God became true man united in one Person forever. He died on the cross a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. On the third day He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven, where, at the right hand of the Majesty on High, He now is our High Priest and Mediator.
3. The Holy Spirit has come to glorify Christ and to apply the saving work of Christ to our hearts. He convicts us of sin and draws us to the Savior. Indwelling our hearts, He gives new life to us, empowers and imparts gifts to us for service. He instructs and guides us into all truth, and seals us for the day of redemption.
4. Being estranged from God and condemned by our sinfulness, our salvation is wholly dependent upon the work of God’s free grace. God credits His righteousness to those who put their faith in Christ alone for their salvation, thereby justifies them in His sight. Only such as are born of the Holy Spirit and receive Jesus Christ become children of God and heirs of eternal life.
5. The true Church is composed of all persons who through saving faith in Jesus Christ and the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit are united together in the body of Christ. The Church finds her visible, yet imperfect, expression in local congregations where the Word of God is preached in its purity and the sacraments are administered in their integrity; where scriptural discipline is practiced, and where loving fellowship is maintained. For her perfecting, she awaits the return of her Lord.
6. Jesus Christ will come again to the earth-personally, visibly, and bodily-to judge the living and the dead, and to consummate history and the eternal plan of God. “Even so, come, Lord Jesus.” (Rev. 22:20)
7. The Lord Jesus Christ commands all believers to proclaim the Gospel throughout the world and to make disciples of all nations. Obedience to the Great Commission requires total commitment to “Him who loved us and gave Himself for us.” He calls us to a life of self-denying love and service. “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.” (Eph. 2:10)